Sunday, September 13, 2015

My Six Favorite Fall Farmer's Market Finds

It's finally fall!!! Okay, okay... Not quite fall, but so darn close it doesn't matter. The air feels and smells like fall, and I'm running with it! Fall is arguably my favorite season of the year. Warm, cozy sweaters, boots, beautiful colors galore and - perhaps my (and my hair's) favorite part - the glorious reprieve from humidity...
 
Really, what's not to love? Everything seems so much better in fall. Even the food is better! This is my favorite time of year to visit the farmer's market, no doubt about it. Aside from the weather being much more bearable, fall in Illinois brings out a lot of my favorite foods. Here's my top six fall farmer's market finds:
 
1. Pumpkin - I. Love. Pumpkin. Not only is it one of my favorite flavors, it's super versatile. I love pureeing the pulp and making all sorts of yummy things this time of year. muffins, scones, pancakes, cakes, soups, sauces, cookies... The possibilities are endless! Plus, the seeds can be baked with a wide variety of seasonings and spices to create good-for-you snacks or salad toppings. And we can't forget the pumpkin spice latte! YUM!
 
2. Eggplant - Eggplant is unique and oh-so-tasty. When I was a vegetarian, I lived for this time of year so I could stock up on all the eggplant I could find. It's the star in one of my favorite vegetarian dishes - eggplant parmesan! Oh, my mouth is watering already... Not to mention, eggplant is fantastic when grilled and makes a great addition (or substitution for) a burger. Tasty!
 
3. Edamame - Living in the land of corn and soy beans, it would be such a travesty to forget these little guys! Fresh soy beans make for a great snack or filler salad. They are also fantastic additions to homemade stir fry! Edamame are newer crops for our region, but they are naturally fat-free, packed with protein and delicious!
 
4. Apples - Yeah, I know I can get apples virtually all year round at the grocery store, but fresh, local apples are way better. And fall in Illinois is there time to shine! This fruit satisfies one of the main criteria I have to consider something one of the greatest foods - it must taste great whether it is hot or cold. Apples are fantastic raw (peanut butter or caramel optional), but they completely up their game when hot. Apple pie, cinnamon apples and apple crisp are some of my favorite warm apple dishes. Homemade applesauce is by far my favorite though, and not just because it makes my house smell fantastic. Delish!
 
5. Butternut Squash - This fall staple is must buy when I get to the farmer's market in the fall. Like pumpkin, it is insanely versatile. Although I love using it for soups and sauces, roasted butternut squash is my favorite this time of year. So much so, it is practically served with every meal. Yes, breakfast too! As a person that doesn't care for potatoes, this squash makes a pretty decent substitute for home fries, and I love adding bits to my salads.
 
6. Pears - I honestly forget we grow pears in Illinois until my father-in-law starts showing up with fresh pears from his pear tree this time of year.  Pears were my favorite fruit as a kid, and they probably still are as an adult. Most of the time, fresh pears from the farmer's market don't last too long in the house (which may or may not be my fault), but when they do, I love baking them. I usually halve them, sprinkle on a little cinnamon, and bake them for a simple, tasty dessert you can't feel guilty about eating.
 
Thank goodness that's six, because I am now too hungry to go on any farther. And I can't wait to go to the farmer's market this week! What are your favorite local fall farmer's market finds? Tell me in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment